The initial phase of the e-scooter project is up and running in 10 locations across Dubai. This project allows private sector companies to operate and rent electric scooters (e-scooters) for the public to use. Four operators are approved to manage the e-scooter rental business in Dubai, two of them are international: Tier and Lime and the other two are local: Arnab and Skurrt. RTA continuously runs awareness campaigns and inspections on the four RTA-approved operators of e-scooters. These awareness campaigns and inspections have significantly contributed to the delivery of safe, smooth and enjoyable services to users from all spectrums of the community.
The initial phase, for e-scooter rental covers 10 locations including: Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Boulevard, Jumeirah Lakes Towers, Dubai Internet City, Al Rigga, 2nd of December Street, and City Walk. It also covers The Palm Jumeirah, Al Qusais (On safe streets 30 km/h), Al Mankhool, and Al Karama communities as well as dedicated cycle tracks, which can be seen in the locations map.
Additionally, e-scooter operations are now in 11 new residential areas which are: Al Tawar 1, Al Tawar 2, Umm Suqeim 3, Al Garhoud, Muhaisnah 3, Umm Hurair 1, Al Safa 2, Al Barsha South 2, Al Barsha 3, Al Quoz 4, and Nad Al Sheba 1. By operating e-scooters in these areas, the total length of the bike and e-scooter tracks jumped to 390 km to serve 114,503 residents of those areas. These tracks relate to main attractions, 10 mass transport stations, and 18 prominent destinations such as public parks and commercial outlets. This enhances the first and last-mile journeys and reduces the reliance on private vehicles. The public must refrain from using e-scooters on tracks that are still under construction to avoid traffic incidents. The construction of tracks at the new districts is progressing according to plan.
Road marking and signboards for e-scooters and their designated or shared tracks with bicycles are installed on site. In addition to signage; laws, regulations and technical requirements are established for individuals and companies to follow in order to ensure the safety of individuals and to protect public property while using e-scooters.
Note: You need to have a permit to ride an eScooter, in the above mentioned areas.
E-scooter users must:
- Be at least sixteen (16) years old.
- Wear a protective helmet and appropriate gear and shoes.
- Park in the designated places.
- Avoid blocking the way of pedestrians and vehicles.
- Leave a safe distance between e-scooters, bikes and pedestrians.
- Not carry anything that causes e-scooter imbalance.
- Not carry any passengers.
- Adhere to traffic instructions, regulations and warning signs on the tracks.
- Refrain from using dual headsets.
- Inform competent authorities when any accidents occur, whether the accident caused or did not cause damage to others.
- Adhere to general safety conditions while riding an e-scooter.
- Wear appropriate clothes and shoes.
- Dismount the e-scooter while crossing pedestrian crossings and abide by traffic regulations and traffic laws.
- Avoid reckless driving which poses a danger to the public and endangers the lives of others.
- Avoid riding e-scooters outside designated or shared lanes.
E-scooter users must check;
- The e-scooter technical specification.
- That head and rear lights are working.
- The horn is fixed on the steering arm (T-bar).
- The roadworthiness of the tires.
- The brakes on the front and back tires.
- E-scooters must be manufactured and tailored according to the climatic conditions and specifications of the UAE.
- E-scooters must comply with the specifications approved by the authorities concerned with setting e-scooter specifications and standards.
- The maximum e-scooter speed limit must be set at 20 km/h.
- The RTA reserves the right to introduce any further stipulations in future, as appropriate.
Renting e-scooters (General instructions):
- Make sure your smartphone is connected to the internet in order to be able to ride an electric scooter.
- You need to download one of the four operator's app's. (Tier, Skurtt, Arnab and Lime) in order to use the E-scooter. They are available on the Apple Store and Google Play.
- In order to find an electric scooter close to you, simply open any of the operator's apps. You will automatically be taken to the map screen, showing all available scooters in your area. If you don't see any scooter icons displayed, zoom out the map in order to search a wider area.
- If your smartphone battery dies or you are not able to end your ride, make sure to park your scooter in a designated parking zone and contact the operator's Customer Care Section as soon as possible.
Pre-ride safety checks before renting an e-scooter:
Pre-ride safety check involves a quick 3-step process to ensure your scooter is in good working order:
- Pump the hand brakes manually to ensure they are working properly.
- Check tires to verify they are not damaged.
- Visually inspect the body of the scooter to ensure there are no cracks or other structural damage.
If the scooter is not in working condition, you should inform the operator immediately.
| Executive Council Resolution No. 13 of 2022 Regulating the Use of Cycles in the Emirate of Dubai
|Download 2022 Regulating the Use of Bikes in the Emirate of Dubai
Emergency Contact Numbers