HE Mattar Mohammed Al Tayer
Director General Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors of the Roads and Transport Authority - Commissioner General for Infrastructure, Urban Planning and Well-Being
His Excellency Mattar Al Tayer, Director General, Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors of the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) & Commissioner General for Infrastructure, Urban Planning and Well-Being holds a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from the University of Wisconsin, USA, 1983. Prior to taking up RTA’s leadership role, Al Tayer worked in Dubai Municipality since 1983. He worked in several professional and supervisory roles ranging from the Director of the Roads Department up to the Deputy Director General of Dubai Municipality.
He took leadership of RTA in November 2005 where he oversaw the establishment phase including the recruitment of competent and experienced professionals. Under his leadership, RTA has made remarkable achievements in a variety of fields including radical development of the mass transit system through mega projects, like Dubai Metro (Red and Green Lines) and Dubai Tram. It has made a major shift in the bus and marine transit services as well as the developments in the road network including multiple crossings on Dubai Creek such as the Business Bay Crossing, Al Garhoud Bridge and the Floating Bridge. RTA has also developed key roads and interchanges on the Sheikh Zayed Road, Al Khail Road, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Road, and Emirates Road. Additionally, RTA has also delivered an array of superb projects such as the Dubai Water Canal, Jumeirah Corniche, Etihad Museum, and the Enterprise Command and Control Center (EC3). Overall, Al Tayer has overseen projects worth about AED100 billion undertaken by RTA. Such achievements and projects have ranked the RTA amongst the leading and reputed global entities in the roads and transportation industry. Matching its outstanding record of achievements, the RTA has won several local, regional and international awards, amounting to more than 270 awards.
Throughout his professional career, Al Tayer has received multiple accolades in recognition of his successful leadership of the RTA, such as:
- Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Sash, September 2011 Honorary Fellowship from the British Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE), UK, 2010
- ABLF Best Business Citizen Award 2017
- Man of the Year (CEO Middle East Award) 2009
- Middle East Forum for Special Needs Award, 2009
Al Tayer is actively engaged in several local and federal councils, boards and committees, including:
- Member of The Dubai Council- Commissioner General for Infrastructure, Urban Planning and Well-Being
- Member of the Strategic Affairs Council of Dubai Government Deputy Chairman, Dubai Sports Council.
- Chairperson of the Board of Trustees, “Mohammed Bin Rashid Al- Maktoum Creative Sports Award”.
- Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Hamdan bin Mohammed Award for Innovation in Project Management.
- Deputy Chairman of Board of Trustees, Hamdan Bin Mohammed Smart University
- Chairman of Etihad Rail DB
- Deputy Chairman of the Board – Etihad Rail
- Member, Preparatory Committee of World Expo 2020.
- Member, Board of Trustees of “Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum Global Initiatives”.
- Member, Board of Trustees of Dubai Future Foundation.
- Chairman of Dubai Future Council for Transportation.
- Board Member, Federal Transport Authority-Land and Maritime.
Al Tayer also assumed several key posts in Councils, Boards and Committees in Dubai and the UAE highlighted by:
- Deputy Chairman of the infrastructure and environment committee – Dubai Executive Council (2005-2017)
- Chairman of the Emirates Society of Engineers (2004-2010) Board Member, Union National Bank